We’re working together to eradicate plastic waste from nature
We're driven by our purpose, to create a cleaner, healthier world. Our Sustainability Ambitions are built around three areas: a healthier planet, a fairer society, and purpose-led brands. These Ambitions are already having a positive impact on the planet, whilst allowing people to lead cleaner, healthier lives.
But we know there’s still a long way to go. And we’re working hard to continue pushing for change.
Working to reduce plastic waste
Did you know that the world produces 381 million tonnes of plastic waste every year? And this is set to double by 2034. The enormity of reducing the amount of plastic that is produced and wasted is a task that cannot be tackled alone.
As members of The Consumer Goods Forum’s (CGF) Plastic Waste Coalition of Action, we are helping lead our industry towards better plastic packaging with its latest initiative – the Golden Design Rules.
The Golden Design Rules
This set of guidelines for packaging will help increase the value and recyclability of plastic materials and are an important development for our purpose-led brands. We’re uniquely positioned to drive real change, in-line with our Sustainability Ambitions. These are the rules:
- Increase recycling value in PET bottles – eliminate pigments and use recycling-friendly labels
- Remove problematic elements – eliminate the use of harmful chemicals
- Eliminate excess headspace – ensure a maximum of 30% headspace in flexible packaging
- Reduce plastic overwraps – eliminate unnecessary overwraps
- Increase recycling value in PET trays – use clear, recycling-friendly labels and sleeves
- Increase recycling in flexible packaging
- Increase recycling value in rigid packaging – use recycling-friendly labels, sleeves and closures
- Reduce virgin plastic in B2B packaging – eliminate unnecessary plastic, use recycled content and switch to reuse models
- Use on-pack recycling instructions – guide consumers with recycling or reuse instructions on packaging
What it means to be a CGF Plastic Waste Coalition of Action member
The CGF Plastic Waste Coalition of Action was founded in 2020 with the aim of developing a more circular approach to the development and processing of plastic packaging in the consumer goods industry.
At Reckitt, our purpose-led brands have the power to drive real change, making our membership to the Coalition an important one.
By adopting these rules, we can focus on eliminating unnecessary plastic packaging — helping to keep plastics in the value chain and out of nature.
Our 2025 promise
In total, the 42 members that make up the Coalition represent more than 10 per cent of the global plastic packaging market. We all play a vital role in making the world a cleaner and healthier place. That is why we have committed to adopting the Golden Design Rules wherever possible by 2025.
We have also voluntarily committed to implement these design changes by 2025 and to report annually on progress, in a process aligned with the New Plastics Economy Global Commitment.
Find out more
Details of the CGF Plastic Waste Coalition of Action and what the nine rules entail see the Coalition’s website.
Find out more about our Sustainability Ambitions here.